Sunday, February 20, 2011

Week 3, the training continues

As life continues to move on around me, I seem to be standing still.  Over the last week, my boredom has hit an all time high.  With the stresses of school and the lack of variety in my life, I feel constricted but am working through it with my training.  I know it sounds bad, but no worries, I'm not depressed or anything of the sort; I'm just ready for a little excitement in my life :)

My biking this week did go well for the most part however, 136.5 miles, which brings my 3 week total to 460 miles.  I don't have any intense riding stories to share, nor do I have any cool scars from a good crash out on the trails.  I am still just riding the stationary bike, watching countless hours of silent TV with only the subtitles to keep me posted on what's really happening.  Oh, here's my excel sheet, by the way...

Side note to ESPN:  If you're going to spend 2 weeks covering every moment up until the start of the Daytona 500, you should probably cover the race too.  Rather than being able to watch the race while I rode today, I was stuck watching College Lacrosse on one TV, with women's basketball on the other.  I would have rather watched a nice long episode of underwater basket weaving.  I mean come on, there's more action in 5 minutes of scuba diving than an entire season of lacrosse or women's basketball.  No offense to either sport but ESPN, you really dropped the ball on this one...

Anyway, this coming week I only have 2 days of classes, which will allow me to relax and hopefully do something a little interesting.  NCLS, the National Character Leadership Symposium, is a conference the Academy puts on every spring.  Every year, over 15 amazing speakers and leaders come here to speak about their life experiences, allowing the Cadets a chance to see the possibilities which may away in the outside world.  Last year, I saw the Secretary of Defense, 2 astronauts, Tommy Lasorda, and the writer of Black Hawk Down.  This year, I am scheduled to see 3 different Medal of Honor Recipients, including Colonel Bud Day, and the most recent recipient of the award, Sergeant Giunta.  I am also seeing the first above the knee amputee of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Two other people I will be seeing are Dick Hoyt, and Neil Amonson.  While not necessarily leaders in battle like the Medal of Honor winners, they both have lived extraordinary lives. Hoyt is the founder of Team Hoyt, and has competed in over 1,000 athletic events in the last 30 years while pushing his paralyzed son, including 28 Boston Marathon's, and 6 Ironman Triathlons.  His determination to train, all for the love of his son is truly amazing.  Neil Amonson is regarded as the worlds best base jumper, and has starred in a few helmet camera commercials. If you've seen the commercial with the base jumper or the skier with the parachute, that's him.  His story will be interesting, but I'm certain the others will be more relevant in my near future.

I leave you with the typical sunrise here at the Academy.  I took this picture just last Friday on my way to morning formation.  There's one good thing about being up early, sunrises here in Colorado are truly amazing, pictures don't do justice.  







Have a good week everyone.  Happy Birthday Mr. Washington, I will enjoy my day off tomorrow.

Take care,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment